Find the answer to your Linux question:
As is known, there is a queue lies between the kernel subsystem and the network driver for incoming data. And if data come when this queue has no space for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to see the number of packets dropped by kernel due to insufficient queue size?

As is known, there is a queue lies between the kernel subsystem and the network driver for incoming data. And if data come when this queue has no space for it, the data got dropped by kernel.
    Is there some way to see how many packets are dropped due to this buff penury?
    I tried netstat -s but could not find something useful. On the other hand, I found this 12176 packets collapsed in receive queue due to low socket buffer from netstat -s. I think this is something related to the per-socket buffer, but not the incoming queue between the network driver and kernel. Is this right?

Thanks,
    Feng

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tairen View Post
    As is known, there is a queue lies between the kernel subsystem and the network driver for incoming data. And if data come when this queue has no space for it, the data got dropped by kernel.
    Is there some way to see how many packets are dropped due to this buff penury?
    I tried netstat -s but could not find something useful. On the other hand, I found this 12176 packets collapsed in receive queue due to low socket buffer from netstat -s. I think this is something related to the per-socket buffer, but not the incoming queue between the network driver and kernel. Is this right?

Thanks,
    Feng
    for backlog queue queue dorps you can find them under ( per cpu):

cat /proc/net/softnet_stat

and for qdisc drops ( ip tx drops) should be determined by following two commands.

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root pfifo limit 1000

( i.e find this value from kernel/linux/net/ethernet/eth.c , ether_setup() , dev->tx_queue_len = 1000)

tc -s -d qdisc show dev eth0