Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
can you send us the dmesg output and your .config I'll try to checkout the problem....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can you send us the dmesg output and your .config
    I'll try to checkout the problem.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    So let me see if I get this straight... You've created a liveCD with software you've compiled yourself? And you used a form of ./configure --prefix=/path/to/distroroot to create this? You've compiled your own kernel with the necessary ethernet card drivers compiled in? And you created a bootable CD of this? You used mkisofs probably?
    Exactly

And now it is bootable, and you can get a bash login. But not network capability? You can't get the interface up, or even see it in `ifconfig -a`?
    No I can't get network.

Well, the first place I would look is the kernel configuration. You can also try to boot your Ubuntu machine using this 'new' kernel, and see if that picks up the interfaces.This is quicker to troubleshoot. If with this new kernel Ubuntu doesn't have ethernet then it's the kernels fault. Otherwise it's somewhere in userland/configs/settings. I suspect the kernel though.

I have no idea about your method of compiling the kernel but it needs more than just the device drivers. I'm a bit rusty when it comes to kernel compilation, but I believe there are some network settings and some ethernet settings settings you have to enable in the kernel before it works. Depending on your methodology this may or may not have been enabled per default.
    I'll give this a go.

Also, I'll send the out put of dmesg ang .config

Just Joined!
    Here is the the output of dmesg and the .config file. Ethernet did not work on ubuntu when my kernel was used.

dmesg - badongo.com/file/24136044
    .config - badongo.com/file/24136049

Just Joined!
    In the dmesg, there isn't any try to get you network card, it seems that the network card driver isn't compiled in the kernel or you compiled it as a module by mistake.
    Based on you kernel config file and what I have found in the internet :
    Your network card will be using the E1000 driver.
    The E1000 driver is compiled as a module (.config file - line 2041 : CONFIG_E1000=m)

I don't have your network card, but I guess that's your problem.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so that made my ethernet card work. I have used "ifconfig eth0 up" this brings up my ethernet card. I can ping myself (I set the ip to 192.168.1.12) but I am unable to ping anything else, not even the router.

Just Joined!
    Congratulations
    Check your routing settings
    Type route in the terminal to checkout
    Normally to make your network work, you have to assign the IP address and update you routing table.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I managed to get this to work by installing dhcpcd. However I have a new problem. Domain names dont resolv!

I Have filled in nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf with all relevant info but still domain names wont work!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesl22 View Post
    Hi,

I managed to get this to work by installing dhcpcd. However I have a new problem. Domain names dont resolv!

I Have filled in nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf with all relevant info but still domain names wont work!
    I am confused, you said you installed DHCP but then you said you "filled in nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf with all relevant info"". DHCP should fill this out automagically, you shouldn't have to edit /etc/resolv.conf
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I meant to say;

dhcpcd is filling in resolv.conf with the correct info. However domain names still don't resolve.
    Last edited by jamesl22; 09-24-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Just Joined!
    So this is how I get the network running:
    I run ifconfig eth0 up then dhcpcd. Dhcp the fills in resolv.conf with my nameserver (which I can ping). I can get to sites by ip adress but not by domain name. Could this problem actually be in libc?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast