Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I've been trying to setup samba between my mandrake 9.1 laptop and my windows 98 box without success. I've started trouble shooting and the first thing i have to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant ping linux laptop from windows

hello,
    I've been trying to setup samba between my mandrake 9.1 laptop and my windows 98 box without success. I've started trouble shooting and the first thing i have to do is be able to ping between the two thru my linksys wireless router. i can ping the windows machine thru the router from the linux laptop no problem. my problem is i cant ping the linux laptop from windows. i can ping the router no problem from the windows box. I thought maybe shorewall was the culprit because i havent adjusted any rules for pinging. But even shutting down the shorewall service hasnt helped. I would appreciate any suggestions to get my two machines talking. I assume because i can ping one way that i dont have a hardware issue but something to do with a setting or setting up linux box to reply to icmp requests.

thanx,
    alan

maybe iptables or ipchains is the culprit

Just Joined!
    i was wondering if shutting down shorewall was enough? how do u go about shutting down iptables ...

alan

Code:
    man iptables

Just Joined!
    i dont see anything that shuts down iptables. is the only way to write a rule to let thru icmp packets....
    alan

Code:
    iptables -F
    to delete the firewall rules

Just Joined!
    sorry i couldnt continue but got pulled away yda. i did issue the iptables -F command but still couldnt ping linux box. i'm going to try and setup a rule in shorewall to let icmp packets thru and see if that helps.....
    alan

Just Joined!
    yeah that did it. by putting in accepting icmp request in Shorewall i can now ping linux box from my win98 box. but i still cant see either box using shares. do u have any ideas on how to setup Shorewall to pass smb requests. Incidently i had ethereal running and i see browser requests announcing the windows 98 share on the wire.

alan

ummmm? what port does smb run on? (i'd assume 139 since that's the standard netbios port, but...)
    i guess set up shorewall to accept on tcp 139

Just Joined!
    yeah but what i'm worried about is having that port open to everyone. i see that there are zones in shorewall. i would like to somehow like 2 setup a local zone w/my two computers that are behind the linksys and eliminate showing port 139. but then again maybe i'm paranoid because i'm running nat on the router...

alan