Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, I'm attempting to help a friend "fine-tune" a network for his business. In general, it consists of 4 parts: 3rd Party Email Server -> Internet -> Modem -> ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help - etc/hosts & resolv.conf confusion

Hello Everyone,

I'm attempting to help a friend "fine-tune" a network for his business. In general, it consists of 4 parts: 3rd Party Email Server -> Internet -> Modem -> Radio Network (With no Internet access except through modem).

We are waiting on the modem's manufacturer to contact us about getting into this modem, being as it's secured and managed by a 3rd party as well.

Here's what we know: The the IP Address range of the radio network, the IP of the Email Server, the IP of the modem ( at least the IP on the side connected to the internet, not sure if there is an IP on the side for the radio network).

What I'm confused about is how to configure the radio network to communicate with the Modem to receive a connection. I believe it's something to do with the etc/hosts and resolv.conf files, but here's where I reach a dead end. Could someone elaborate on this? Thank you

Just Joined!
    etc/hosts -- is for your local network naming
    etc/resolv.conf -- for DNS for connecting to internet, the nameserver and ips you will be for external server