Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi All, I have a linux Gateway machine . Last month my Internet bill way too high so I want to check the bandwidth usage on per machine basis I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    vkv
    Just Joined!

Question Network monitoring

Hi All,

I have a linux Gateway machine . Last month my Internet bill way too high so I want to check the bandwidth usage on per machine basis

I tried vnstat but it is just showing the daily usage but not on per machine/IP basis
    So please help me to find out a network monitoring system to install it in my gateway so that I can capture daily Internet usage on per IP basis

Basically I need to check the Internet Bandwidth usage on per machine/IP basis , So that I can find it out which machine uses much bandwidth

Advance Thanks and Regards
    VKV

Just Joined!
    you can configure ip tables rules per pc and packet counters in iptables can help you in finding which PC using more bandwidth.

Just Joined!
    I think Ntop is the suitable tool for this condition. I am also facing the same situation and want to implement ntop. Will post once I complete with my setup.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi VKV

Use iftop command which gives you robust feature more than your expectation

#iftop

Regards
    Amber

Just Joined!
    Tried ipacsum?
    Bandwidth Monitoring with ipac-ng
    Not sure how well it works on newer distros, but on smoothwall 2.0 it's a treat.

I'd go for a solution with iptables if you are pretty much interested in totals, the built in logging does not average counts. The big advantage is that you probably have little or no extra need for software, little or no impact on system resources. Just add a handful rules to IP-tables and read the counters.

You'll have to read the manual pages yourself, but it should go something like this:
    Code:
    iptables --append INPUT --jump ACCEPT --source <IP1>
    iptables --append INPUT --jump ACCEPT --destination <IP1>
    iptables --append OUTPUT --jump ACCEPT --source <IP1>
    iptables --append OUTPUT --jump ACCEPT --destination <IP1>
    Four lines per IP-addres you want to monitor, replace <IP1> with the proper IP-address of your ... PC, laptop, ...

To examine the totals:
    Code:
    iptables -L -v -x

Coming to think of it, logging both INPUT and OUTPUT is not necessary. Just disregard the lines for OUTPUT chain.
    Packets that travel in, will travel out too, so the counters for INPUT and OUTPUT will be identical (provided you don't have any other rules set up).

And once you have set up these iptable rules you can either run "itpables -L -v -x" as a cron job and append the output to a logfile (in case your power goes down and the packet count is reset) and/or set up a collectd process that collects the packet count data. collectd basically would do the same as the cron/logfile combination would do, but supports all different kinds of export types like CSV, images and much more.

Just Joined!
    Have a look at RRDTool. It may meet your needs. I do not have any experience setting up or configuring but I have seen it in action.

vkv
    Just Joined!
    Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the help. The iptable configuration looks fine. I'll probably go with that.

Once again thanks to all who helped me

Have a nice day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast