Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Our site targets mainly Russian users. I have been speaking with a new hosting provider regarding moving our servers there, only these guys have only US based (east coast) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Check internet behavior

Hi,

Our site targets mainly Russian users.

I have been speaking with a new hosting provider regarding moving our servers there, only these guys have only US based (east coast) data centers. Therefore I would like to run tests for some period of time to try and figure if the geographical distance poses a problem.

Some of our machines are inside Russia so I can run anything I want from there. The trivial ping and trace showed OK results, but as I understand I need to run tests for a long period of time (a few days) and get stats.

1. Other than ping, trace and file downloads from the US data center are there any other special tests I can perform?
    2. Looking for a tool to install on Russian linux to run these tests on autopilot for me and get a report at the end.

Cheers,
    DB

SmokePing - About SmokePing comes to mind.

Let it check a URL in the US datacenter with preferably a http URL, that has dynamically produced content and also a lot of objects.
    This probe comes to mind
    SmokePing - Smokeping:robes::EchoPingHttp

Smokeping will send 20 concurrent requests and then draw a "smoke" line based on the response times and also present an average.

In general, the more hops and longer the distance, latency will be worse and worse.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.