Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know that SSHFS is the way to mount the file and directory on remote server. It has many advantages such as security, convenience, fast and so on. I wonder ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there any alternative to SSHFS?

I know that SSHFS is the way to mount the file and directory on remote server. It has many advantages such as security, convenience, fast and so on. I wonder if there is disadvantage of SSHFS and the alternative to it? I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

Linux Enthusiast
    If all you want is file sharing (on an internal trusted network) you can look at Network File System (NFS), Andrew File System (AFS), Coda File System, and of course the old DECNET currently known as CIFS (see Samba).

Or davfs, (s)ftpfs, .. it just depends on what you need.

For example is davfs really fast for small files and can be secured with https and even shared over different places at it is being passed through a web server. But it has no support for credentials except the ones applied by a webserver and no uid/gid information.

ftpfs works even for bigger files really fast but is not regarded secure at all.

PS: try to transfer a 4gb dvd with sshfs over a gigabit lan. you won't get the speed you would like to have.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close