Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm looking for a PCMCIA Ethernet card that will work with Ubuntu 10.04 and that I might find on eBay. Can anyone tell me a few models that will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] PCMCIA Ethernet card / Ubuntu 10.04

Hi,

I'm looking for a PCMCIA Ethernet card that will work with Ubuntu 10.04 and that I might find on eBay. Can anyone tell me a few models that will work? Thank you much.

Jim

What works for me

Link

Specifically the version 6000 or also called ver. 6 card is what I use. It has a Ralink chipset.

Card-2 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver rt61pci v: 2.3.0 BusID: 06:00.0
    Another that works for me is
    Link
    This one I use uses the atheros chipset. Beofre buying. Check with sellers to see if they know what internal wireless chip is in card. Atheros, Raylink, and Realtek are all good wireless chipsets that the kernel supports.

Network: Card-1 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k v: 0.6.0 BusID:
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention, that I need a wired Ethernet card, not a wireless. Got any ideas on that? Thank you much.

Jim

Link

Xircom even worked for me with 2.4 kernel in Damn Small Linux. Just plug and play.

Another Link
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    Hi, Thanks a lot for sending the links. These cards are a lot cheaper, too.

You know, I've got a Xircom card that looks identical, but it's a RBE 100. Do you thing this would work? I tried it and it didn't, but I didn't download a driver. I'm afraid I'm a bit clewless on wired Internet cards. Thanks again.

Can you plug the card in and boot Ubuntu, post the output of this code please.
    Code:
    sudo lspci -k
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Hi, Thanks for offering the help. But, I booted with the card in the slot and the cable hooked up and the card worked great! I might not have booted with the card installed the last time I tried it. Like I say, I'm a little bit new at this Linux stuff.

Many thanks to both of your for your help.

JIm

Sweet! Way to go.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.