Hello all,

I am not a networking expert at all, so I have some problems with setting up the relaying of email to my domain correctly. First of all, sorry that I had to scramble the emails and domainnames to circumvent the 'you can only post links after 15 messages' error.

I have just registered a domain name (say: DOMAINNAME). I only have a single pc, named bird. Say my username is john. I send an email to john at DOMAINNAME from a hotmail account. The mail arrives at my pc but is not delivered to user john.
I see in /var/log/mail the message

Nov 12 10:28:42 bird sendmail[17068]: oAC9Sej1017068: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<john at DOMAINNAME>, relay=<snip> [myipaddress], reject=550 5.7.1 <john at DOMAINNAME>... Relaying denied
Nov 12 10:28:42 bird sendmail[17068]: oAC9Sej1017068: from=<double-bounce>, size=287, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=<snip> [myipaddress]
However, sending to john at bird.DOMAINNAME is possible. The mail is delivered to user john and you can read it with 'mail'.

So: where do I need to change what to be able to deliver mail to DOMAINNAME as well? I am completely lost, mainly in the /etc directory, as to where, what, why,etc...

Regards,
Nigel