Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Trying to watch movies between my systems and I'm getting upload speeds of 6.5 kb/s from my system to the one connected to the tv. I'm running Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Extremely Slow Upload Speeds on Network

Hi All,

Trying to watch movies between my systems and I'm getting upload speeds of 6.5 kb/s from my system to the one connected to the tv. I'm running Ubuntu on both machines, tried with VLC and XBMC. Both are running wirelessly but I know that this issue is new, I used to get at least a meg a second on LAN. Any ideas?? Thanks all
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Have you had a kernel or driver update installed recently?

What does iwconfig show the rate as? If it shows low, have you tried adjusting the bit rate? For example

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M
    What is your wireless card? I found this bug for Maverick and the intel 3945. You might try install the latest compat-wireless.

So, looks like "something" solved the problem. I did an upgrade on the media machine that was being streamed to. I didn't see any updates in there that were network related but I'm now getting 200-500 kb/s over VLC, with my 30 second buffer set up this is plenty to watch a movie or show without a stutter Thanks for the help reed

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

did you check the load of the system?

Code:
    uptime
    the overall IO performance and not only the CPU performance may be low when the load of the system is generally high, especially when using encrypted tunnels like ssh to transfer files.

It wasn't an uptime issue or load issue. The weird thing is that I was watching a movie steamed in the room, no problem at all from one system to the next. Then I moved the laptop to connect it to the tv and again speeds were ridiculously slow. Could nearness to the router be an issue?? The router is right next to the tv so when I plug in the computer to the tv they are about 18" from each other. Now I'm having to transfer things to my flash drive to watch them which causes a whole different issue, I start transfering to my thumb drive at about 20 mb/s then it quickly goes down until it settles at around 4-5, sometimes going back up as high as 9. I back my movies up at full DVD folder so these are 4.5 gigs, transfering at these speeds takes at least 10-15 minutes so I'm sitting here promising that a movie will start "soon" and I have to wait for a 15 minute transfer.....

I don't know about the router issue, but for the flash drive, 9 mb/s wouldn't be all that unusual, especially for inexpensive hardware.

How fast is your flash drive? Read Write Speeds of USB Flash Drives!

Also, I've found in KDE especially copy times to be slower using the GUI than from the command line.

Last thing, how are your flash drives formatted? FAT32 can't handle files larger than 4 GB.

Thanks reed for that info. It looks like it's right around the right speed for a 16 gig flash drive. It's formated as fat32 just because I have to use it at school/work and Windows refuses to accept EXT format. None of the files are larger than a gig so it's not a problem with the 4 gig limit. I actually think the speeds get faster when it's transfering the larger files vs. multiple smaller files within the dvd directory. I'm going to do more tests in the next couple weeks to try to get LAN speed consistent as it's driving me crazy that I can't stream stuff to the tv

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    Could nearness to the router be an issue??
    Yes it can. I think I've read articles about kind of black holes that indeed were signals of the router antennas that overlapped and destroyed each others signal. Just a matter of physics: two equal waves with one phase offset annihilate each other.