Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am really new to using linux and I have been using opensuse 11.2 for about 5 months on and off. I have finally decieded to go all in with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Confused about proxies

I am really new to using linux and I have been using opensuse 11.2 for about 5 months on and off. I have finally decieded to go all in with linux. Things are going good so far but I do have some things that I just can't figure out.

Such as:

- In windows I know that there are lots of proxy software (alot seem to be bs), but I don' t know what to use in opensuse. ( I know you can enter them manually in firefox but I'm trying to find something that will switch proxies automatically)

- what tools are available for linux (opensuse) to search for proxies.

- If proxies are not a good choice, what options do I have in linux for surfing the web anonymously ?

- In order to surf the internet anonymously would I need to hide my ip and mac address ? ( I do know how to change my mac in linux)

Note:I do have a decent understanding of networking so I am not a total noob.

Ixquick indicates that tor is available for your distro. It's been working well for me.

Just Joined!
    If you run a proxy you will probably only be anonymous within a certain level of your local network. All those web surfing packets are still being sent down towards your internet connection and then proxy server. So when Google logs your searches they probably still see your external IP as where the query originated. Unfortunately, electronic privacy is dead my friend

Just Joined!
    I have heard that tor can be bypassed buy cgi scripts. I have heard that google does track your queries. So really what options do I have to having some privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by tha_best_media View Post
    I have heard that tor can be bypassed buy cgi scripts. I have heard that google does track your queries. So really what options do I have to having some privacy?
    Well, Startpage Search Engine is a pretty reasonable search engine and they claim to not keep any of your info. I don't come close to google anything and block their IP's when I find them. You can use a user-agent-switcher plugin in your browser with a blanked out record and you'll look like 1 in about 400 other browsers. Without it you'll probably look pretty unique, just not many *nix boxes. Don't allow cookies, scripts, etc. Check this out: Panopticlick