Find the answer to your Linux question:
My wife has a Toshiba Satellite laptop that has happily connected to the Internet for over a year under Morphix-Gnome 4.1 and Mepis RC4 using an Orinoco Gold card. We ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless connection breaks after over a year of working.

My wife has a Toshiba Satellite laptop that has happily connected to the Internet for over a year under Morphix-Gnome 4.1 and Mepis RC4 using an Orinoco Gold card. We use a Linksys Wireless "B" router.

She powered down the Satellite yesterday after successfully checking her Email and surfing the Internet. This morning after firing it up, it will not connect. I've checked everything I know and can't figure out what the problem is.

We also have another PC that uses a Netgear MA311 wireless pci which is working perfectly on the same network, so I don't think the problem is with the router.

On the laptop, the Mepis Kwifi Manager shows a signal strength of 152, "ultimate," and all five bars are green. We are using 28 bit WEP encryption, but it won't work with or without WEP enabled on either end.

When I pull the Gold card out, wait, and then push it back in, it seems to load. The Mepis wireless utility says the connection is through eth1 as it has always been, yet when I try starting eth1, is won't initiate.

I booted the Ubuntu live CD, and Morphix 4.1 live CD, configured the card under both and tried the connection without success.

In short, everything appears normal, but I cannot get a connection.
    Can a wireless cards pick up a signal and still not connect to the Intertnet? I'm out of ideas...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

have you tried it manually from the command line?
    Code:
    su -
    ifconfig eth1 up
    dhclient eth1
    also the name is eth1? do you have another NIC on your computer?

Thanks for the reply lakerdonald. I just got everything back to normal. Someone on another board suggested I power recycle the WAP. I did, and it fixed the problem.

Here's the thing though. I did exactly this about five times last night to no avail! I can't understand why it didn't work last night but did today!

On that Netgear "G" PCMCIA of yours, did you have to do any heavy configuring to get it operational, or did it work right out of the box?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't want fop, god-damn it. I'm a dapper dan man!
    Best movie ever.

As far as PCMCIA, my Netgear WG511 worked out to the box with MDK >10.0 and neary OOB with Ubuntu (expect for a firmware).

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

yeah jeremy and i have the same card, and it works on most distros. i posted a tutorial about it