Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face whether it is possible to get the available bandwidth run app in client side?

Hi.,
    Calculating the available bandwidth methods
    IGI/PTR,PATHLOAD,SLOPS,PACKET PAIR...

I gone through above methodogies ,when i finish one methods(IGI/PTR) i came to know,one application should run in client side and another application should run in server side (i.e,) Internet Service Provider side,

In IGI/PTR method ./ptr-client.c & ./ptr-server.c is there .,if we want available bandwidth,I Should run ./ptr-client.c (in myside)correspondingly ./ptr-server.c then only we wil get a availble bandwidth...

My need is without run any application on the server side ./ptr-server.c like that,but I should develop the application only on client side (in my routerside based on linux)..

1:whether it is possible to get the available bandwidth run application in client side only?.if possible
    how i implement the code in client side( only )for getting the available bandwidth ...whether any source code is available?...

NOTE:- I dont want to test the speedtest.in (in GUI )

If i anything understand wrong .,

kindly suggest me..

Regards
    Saravanan G

hi

On which ISO/OSI layer should the test run? A main difference would be a end-to-end or a point-to-point connection speed test. First is easier to implement, second is harder (cause you would need either a software that is really close to the hardware like an FPGA or SPS). Anyway, you need always two applications, always on both sides. Can't think how a communication between two hosts work when there is only one host.

Greetings,
    D.