Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've noticed that when Linux boots on different machines or with different versions, the network card is assigned to eth0 or to eth1, when there is only one network card. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eth0 or eth1

I've noticed that when Linux boots on different machines or with different versions, the network card is assigned to eth0 or to eth1, when there is only one network card.
    What is the difference and is there any way to tell which one it will be for any machine or version?
    Thanks.
    Gordon

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It depends upon which device shows up first in the system scan on boot. For example, if you have WiFi and wired, then one may show up before the other on one OS, but vice-versa on another. If you have more than one wired ethernet port, then it will depend again on the order they were found by the OS. Normally, one would expect them to be the same ID - wired == eth0, wireless == eth1, but this is not guaranteed, and frankly I have no idea how to determined beforehand which will be seen first for any random version of Linux or whatever.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

This might also differ when you have changed your network card, inserted several WLAN USB sticks etc. The network device names are normally bound to the MAC address of your network card so you won't encounter problems with multiple cards.

You might rename devices as described here: Rename Network Interface using Udev in Linux

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close