Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Can someone give me straight forward directions on how to get Windows 7 to play nice with Samba? The current situation is that I am dual booting Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows 7 and Samba....the headaches

Hi All,

Can someone give me straight forward directions on how to get Windows 7 to play nice with Samba?

The current situation is that I am dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu, on another machine I just have Ubuntu.

Ubuntu sees the other computer regardless of if it's in W7 or Ubuntu, can access files fine, no issues at all.

The first computer see Ubuntu when I'm booted in Ubuntu, cannot see the computer at all when I'm booted in W7. Even after copying a file over from the Nix machine the W7 computer doesn't see the Nix machine.

I'm sick of going through hundreds of terrible Microsoft forums where they blame Samba for everything and I'm also sick of playing around with the registry. I've tried disabling the IPv6, disabled firewall, made sure I'm on the same workgroup (which I forgot I clearly was since I see the W7 boot in the nix machine).

I've also edited some registry entries, don't ask which ones, it's been too many. I'm also SICK of having solutions that deal with the registry from Windows moderators and then come to find that the folders don't even exist in the registry at all (like three levels up on their list of instructions, for instance if it's HKLM/System/Something/Something2/Something3....the Something folder isn't there and it says "create what's not there", creating three levels of folders plus a registry entry seems a bit absurd to me.

I RARELY use the W7 boot, right now I'm working on a GIS project so I'm having to use W7 a lot more than I'm used to or comfortable with....the fact that I can't access files on my other machine easily makes me remember why I left Windows so long ago....

Sorry for the rant and thanks in advance for any help

Oh yeah I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    What do you want sambe to do?

It's not what I want Samba to do, it's what I want W7 to do....it doesn't list the ubuntu machine at all but I can connect to it manually by entering the IP address of the computer. I think the problem is with Windows, not with Samba, just hoping someone can give me clear directions on how I can get W7 to list the Ubuntu machines in the network
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"