Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear forum readers, I am able to get the Centos 5.5 installation to connect to the HTTPS WebDAV server using the GUI but I am wondering if/what commands the GUI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Places --> Connect To Server --> HTTPS (WebDAV)

Dear forum readers,

I am able to get the Centos 5.5 installation to connect to the HTTPS WebDAV server using the GUI but I am wondering if/what commands the GUI invokes when making the connection. When using the GUI, there is the option "Places". From "Places" you can choose "Connect to Server", which will allow you to connect to a server in a variety of ways. At my office we intend to use WebDAV over HTTPS continually so would I be able to write a script that invokes the same command on log in so that the server is mapped each and every time a user logs in?

I assume this would put an icon/folder on the desktop called 'connname', as illustrated in the images below. I used the letter R when entering the connection name, that is the icon seen in the first image. See screen shots below of the GUI interaction. I am looking to mimic this same interaction via a script and/or command line input. Once I know what commands this GUI interaction is invoking, I could probably figure out the script.

Thanks in advance.
    askwinters.com/SupportImages/Place-ConnectToServer.png
    askwinters.com/SupportImages/ConnectToServer.png

Hi

* install davfs
    * optional: add dav mount configuration in fstab
    * mount the dav (either the conf in fstab or by specifying all conf specific options)

PS: if you intend to use webdav for big files ("big" depends here on network speed and file size) you may should consider using other protocols; I issued really slow performance on a 100mbit network with files bigger than 100mb. i think that is caused from data which is sent over twice to guarantee file integrity

what is being invoked already?

Dear Kloschussel,

Thank you for the response.

I am inquiring about what processes are invoked by the GUI, already, without having to add on any more packages. I know about davfs, fstab, cadaver, fuse, etc. however, I assume that everything already needed to write the bash script is already installed since the GUI can already carry out the process.

The files are not too large. It will mostly be for report output and Office docs. We have a gigabit backbone with pretty good performance. Thanks for the heads up.

When I run a "rpm -qa | less" i see that cadaver, gnome-mount, etc. are installed, but not davfs or fuse. Any ideas about how the GUI is performing the operations without adding on any packages? Perhaps the gnome-mount has an https option? Perhaps it is cadaver that is being invoked by the GUI? Is there anyway to tell? Did you see the screen shots?

Thanks

Unfortunatly I don't know what package the gnome webdav backend is. Did you try a "apt-cache pkgnames | grep dav | less"? Maybe you find an installed package? Or maybe is davfs already installed? Anyway, my favorite way is and will always be the mount toolchain until it gets deprecated and replaced by something else.

grepping output..

yes i ran the output to grep.. that is how i found caDAVer, but i also ran the output without a filter so i could look through each package and find something that might be related... "apt" i believe is for a completey different version of Linux.. Debian i think.. we are using CentOS on our test servers which is a RHEL derivative/copy.. thanks for your input.. i will update this thread if i find anything else.. if anyone else has input, please feel free. thx.

I'm debian addicted and not that familiar with other distributions. Of course apt would be needed to be replaced with your distri package manager. I simply forgot to mention that on my previous post and apologize for that mistake.

Let us know how you get on!

Resolution

We ended up using Konqueror to mount the HTTPS path. This now enables our researchers to drag and drop files between local and remote storage locations using multiple window panes.

Step By Step Directions:

1) open Konqueror from the console:
    konqueror &
    2) mount the network share:
    a. Navigate to: Go > Network Folders
    b. Double click Add a Network Folder
    c. Choose the WebFolder (webdav) radio button and click Next>
    d. Enter server information at the Network Folder Information window
    e. The Named location will now appear under the remote:/ network folders list
    3) open a split pane window
    a. Navigate to: Window > Split View....
    b. You may now navigate to the desired local directory
    4) drag and drop between the two panes

I still wish there was a way to now navigate to that mounted location via the console/command line. There probably is, but have not figured it out yet.