Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I want to use 2 network cards on a notebook (one internal and one by USB). I don't want the typical "internet sharing", so I want it to act ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Netbook acting as a server and as a switch

Hi.

I want to use 2 network cards on a notebook (one internal and one by USB). I don't want the typical "internet sharing", so I want it to act really as a switch:

Other room <== 1Gb/s ==> Notebook <== 100Mb/s ==> network switch with more computers.

I want to do it because i want to use the 1Gb/s link from the other room to the "servers" room, and then the rest of servers will run at 100Mb/s.

I wanna all my computers in the same network, like there's no notebook in the middle, so the Notebook will act as a switch (and a server).

i wanna (assumming all of this is possible):
    Code:
    > [network switch] 1Gb/s
        > 192.168.2.1 [router] 100Mb/s
        > 192.168.2.2 [wi-fi AP] 100Mb/s
        > other room 192.168.2.50 [new notebook] 1Gb/s
            > [network switch] 100Mb/s
                > 192.168.2.51 [my actual server] 100Mb/s
                > 192.168.2.52 [other server] 100Mb/s
        > 192.169.2.100 [my PC] 1Gb/s
        > 192.168.2.101 [my brother's PC] 1Gb/s
        > 192.168.2.102 [etc...] 100Mb/s
    If this is possible, can you teach me how should i configure my network in linux (exactly openSUSE)? (how to configure eth0, eth1, etc) I was thinking about it, but nothing comes to my mind...

Thanks.
    Last edited by wasge; 12-14-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Just Joined!
    Another note: it won't be a problem for me to buy another 5 meter cable for another room to room link at 1GB so all this problems are resolved.

why not just use an actual switch...? they cost a lot less than a notebook and you don't have to configure anything, unless you need them to be on separate networks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    why not just use an actual switch...? they cost a lot less than a notebook and you don't have to configure anything, unless you need them to be on separate networks
    because I have a notebook with broken screen, so i wish to use it as a server

i still don't get this, if you need another switch anyway so those other 2 servers can be connected to your 192.168.2.0 network, then you just plug the switch that they are connected to into the original switch, then plug your laptop you want to use as a server in either switch and do whatever it is you want on it

unless for some reason this laptop server is supposed to do other things to packets for those servers specifically, theres no reason to do it this way

iptables is what you will need to use in this case, though what you are trying to do to me is fairly weird
    [all variants] iptables forward without nat? [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums

Just Joined!
    读取文章内容失败,可能是文章已经删除掉了。文件路径:D:\虫虫软件\虫虫博客2009\article s\url\ugg2sales.html.published