Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm hoping someon here can help me out. After seeing a few articles on making a home router I thought "I'll have a go at that" as I've spare bits ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Making a home router

I'm hoping someon here can help me out. After seeing a few articles on making a home router I thought "I'll have a go at that" as I've spare bits and bobs lying around. Now apart form some iffy wireless cards one major problem sprung to mind. Clearly there will be 2 NIC - 1 in and in my case one out. And that one has to be wireless. But I've yet to find a ready built one (is Smoothwall or the like) that will allow me to do this with a wireless network card in the machine.

Firstly is it doable as all the traffic in my house is wireless. Secondly are there any ready built distros that will handle it for me.

Thanks in advance

You first problem will be to get the wireless card and the wired card up and running. Once that is done you just have to correctly configure your firewall and turn on FORWARDing. This can be done on any linux system provided you know how to set them up without a front end. If you don't know how to do this then you are going to need a front end. Smoothwall doesn't allow for wlan cards?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    You first problem will be to get the wireless card and the wired card up and running. Once that is done you just have to correctly configure your firewall and turn on FORWARDing. This can be done on any linux system provided you know how to set them up without a front end. If you don't know how to do this then you are going to need a front end. Smoothwall doesn't allow for wlan cards?
    Good stuff - thanks. Thought I'd read somewhere that if a wired connection was available the wireless would be switched off.

As for wlan cards - firstly it was one that wasnt supported (except by only the most recent kernel and I'm not sure how on to rebuild it with the new driver) and then when I use one that is OK in every other linux box it doesnt seem to want to find it. Wish it did - that would be job done lol.

Thanks for the info.

You are welcome. As for the wireless side of things you could search Google

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted