Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was away for about a week, and on being back home I got on my notebook MAC but to find my MAC could not get to the internet! The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Resetting internet connection

I was away for about a week, and on being back home I got on my notebook MAC but to find my MAC could not get to the internet! The Modem and the router were already switched on. Usually, this gave no problem. However, this time after repeated tries I was very sure something must be wrong. To cut the story short I managed to find a friend who knows another guy who is a qualified computer techy. He actually helped reset the whatever settings and upon getting it all done I asked what was the root of the problem. His explanation was "things like this does happen and we need to reset the system".

Just to make sure I will not need to bother my friend and his friend should thing like this crop up again, I really appreciate to get a guide on what you actually do to reset whatever that needs to be reset.

Thanks.

I am sorry, but this is too vague to give any hints on how to repeat the fix.
    There are simply too many possibilities what may have been the reason.
    Your mac, the router, your isp,....

So the only advice would be to approach the guy again and ask him to
    a) explain the root cause
    b) write down the steps he did
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    I couldnt connect to internet also ,ifconfig didnt gave an ip adres anymore dmesg said ;eth0: no IPv6 routers present.
    after the command ...

sudo dhclient eth0 ... all was set again and worked(ubuntu10.10)(you have to command as root!)see also thread ...
    Linux Forums > Your Distro > Ubuntu Linux > [SOLVED] Internet does not work in Ubuntu 9.04

To do a hard reset of your router, there is a small pinhole somewhere beside the power button. Press using a toothpick or any small stuff and hold for a few seconds. This will reset you router to its factory settings.

Hope this helps.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    OK, thanks, Irithori. Really, theres a lot to learn! But I will, bit by bit as and when I face an issue.