Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok well i have my windows box and linux box both connecting to the internet through a DI-604 router, and then to a external modem (ill be hooking up a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Creating a Home Network

ok well i have my windows box and linux box both connecting to the internet through a DI-604 router, and then to a external modem (ill be hooking up a print server soon), can any of you guys help me out with getting linux to work on the network and recognize the other computer? so i can share files and what not?

Okay, the magic word is samba

You have to set up Samba to share files between Windows and Linux

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ahh ok ill install that as soon as i get home.. just wanna know, once i get samba, will my windows box be able to recognize my linux box on its network?

you might need to do some simple configuration, but yes

In every article i've read about samba, it says nothing about supporting a connection with XP, they mention every windows os except XP, what's the deal with this?

they mention windows that should just include windows xp in your thoughts yes xp dose work with Samba!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I've been searching for over a week for Samba in my distro (see under my avatar). So far, i found some file i'm sopposed to modify called um: smb.config. So far i think i got it set up. Now, the first part, the installation or whatever it is you do with it, i have no idea where to start. I found some samba dir in /etc/samba, but there is no README to guide me. I found this other tutorial http://www.troutman.org/tech/linux_guides/samba.html , but i don't think it works like RH. Am i supposed to use the CD to find the samba installer files and install it from there?

Now, i've done some reading and i got to this point:
    Code:
    [root@00e0295c9f23 RPMS]# rpm -i samba-common-2.2.7a-8mdk.i586.rpm
    package samba-common-2.2.7a-8mdk is already installed
    Point that i think is a good one. Plus i can ping from a terminal my brother's Win box, so that's good too. Like i said, i've done now steps 1 and 2. And now i have run the last step, which i think worked: chkconfig --level 345 smb on typed on a terminal. Now, how do i see the win box?

Linux Newbie
    hello,

Ive also tried setting up my samba. I even downloaded the 3.0.9 version and when I tried installing the rpm, the error report I got contained something of conflicts etween the samba version that came with my RedHat 9.2 and the new one, so I didnt install the new one.

Anyway, now, using the network servers link on my Linux machine, I can see a shared directory on my windows machine, but I cant copy from/to my windows machine. On my windows machine, no directory on my Linux machine shows up in my network neighborhood section of my windows xp installation.

pls, whoever has more info, kindly help

Toks

Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    I've been searching for over a week for Samba in my distro (see under my avatar). So far, i found some file i'm sopposed to modify called um: smb.config. So far i think i got it set up. Now, the first part, the installation or whatever it is you do with it, i have no idea where to start. I found some samba dir in /etc/samba, but there is no README to guide me. I found this other tutorial http://www.troutman.org/tech/linux_guides/samba.html , but i don't think it works like RH. Am i supposed to use the CD to find the samba installer files and install it from there?

Now, i've done some reading and i got to this point:
    Code:
    [root@00e0295c9f23 RPMS]# rpm -i samba-common-2.2.7a-8mdk.i586.rpm
    package samba-common-2.2.7a-8mdk is already installed
    Point that i think is a good one. Plus i can ping from a terminal my brother's Win box, so that's good too. Like i said, i've done now steps 1 and 2. And now i have run the last step, which i think worked: chkconfig --level 345 smb on typed on a terminal. Now, how do i see the win box?