Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Dragon7 I think squid only runs if the browser try's to connect to an IP address so a simple DNS name server should fix my problem. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon7 View Post
    I think squid only runs if the browser try's to connect to an IP address so a simple DNS name server should fix my problem. I was connecting through a pppoe connection so i dont have a local dns running.
    Yeah, that'll do it. I guess on my end Network Manager takes care of all that.

Probably if you install "dnsmaq" that'll be the easiest server-end solution.

Then the computers that "auto-configure" to connect to your router/squid server, will just pull the dns?
    I'm curious how you have your network set up. Which computers connect to which?

Just Joined!
    Adding the BIND server to the VM that is running squid made everything run as it should

Quote Originally Posted by cong06 View Post
    Yeah, that'll do it. I guess on my end Network Manager takes care of all that.

Probably if you install "dnsmaq" that'll be the easiest server-end solution.

Then the computers that "auto-configure" to connect to your router/squid server, will just pull the dns?
    I'm curious how you have your network set up. Which computers connect to which?
    My network setup:
    router(In bridge mode) <-> Linux(pppoe-sever with nat) <-> switch <-> other computers(dial into my pppoe-server)

Most of my testing was on virtual machines so
    ... switch <-> (Squid Proxy Server, dials into home made pppoe-server) <-> win xp (client testing squid)

Now im going to try to add the squid server to ‘Linux(pppoe-sever with nat)’ and have everything run normally except port 80 that should be sent to squid so that I can use its catch and hopefully make browsing feel a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    You are always going to need a DNS server to surf the internet unless you know the ip address you want to goto. But the question now is how do you know that squid is working and your windows machine isn't connecting directly to google bypassing squid? As you said you needed to put the ip address of google into the host file. This sounds like the xp machine is bypassing squid.
    If you set a browser to use squid you do not need a DNS for the client pc, if you use a transparent proxy you do (the server always had a connection to a DNS server it was the client I was referring to).

With my setup im not sure how the XP machine could get to the internet because the server is not forward internet packets it only re-directs port 80 packets to the squid server. On the XP machine im only able to use http even if I ping Google it gets the ip from the bind server but fails after so im fairly sure im using squid also if i stop the squid service the XP client cannot brows anymore.
    Do you know of a better way I can check?

Sounds good to me. As I don't know your setup I just wanted to ensure that you weren't getting the wrong information form your network.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Everything is up and running,

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2