Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two nic's connect to different networks. I would like to use one to pick up my email and connect to skype and the other for general internet access. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Specify a network adaptor for a program to use

I have two nic's connect to different networks. I would like to use one to pick up my email and connect to skype and the other for general internet access. Is this possible? and how?

Just Joined!
    If skype and your mail server use unique ip's (or a reasonably small block of ips), you can just add some lines to your routing table:

Code:
    route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dev ethX
    Leave the interface you want to use for general traffic as the default gateway, route the other traffic through the other nic with the above code, modified to fit your needs. If skype uses a range of ips with enough common octets (say xxx.xxx.xxx.111 through xxx.xxx.xxx.254) you can use the netmask to filter the entire block (255.255.255.0 in the above example). For a single IP, the netmask is 255.255.255.255.

it's a good idea but skpe uses a distributive network, not unlike P2P so you could connect to almost any IP