Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have squid server which runs on CentOS 5 I want to secure it by using SSH keys. 1. How can I install key on the server I created ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SSH on Server

Hi,

I have squid server which runs on CentOS 5 I want to secure it by using SSH keys.

1. How can I install key on the server I created on my workstation (from puttygen)?
    2. Does each person let say my admin staff will have to create their own key and install it on server?
    3. Only the key can login to server, without key will not login.
    4. Can this be configure on both internet ip and local ip (eth0 eth1)?

Thanks.. looking forward to your reply.

1. How can I install key on the server I created on my workstation (from puttygen)?

No offense meant, please use your favorite web search engine (i.e. most likely
    google) and search for RSA/DSA encryption and public/private key howtos.

2. Does each person let say my admin staff will have to create their own key and install it on server?

Yes, each "individual" receives a key. This "individual" can be another organization, another department or a specific person and as such the definition "individual" depends on the usecase. As you are able to disallow keys later it makes sense to grant access to each "individual" using the "individual"'s public key.

3. Only the key can login to server, without key will not login.

Yes, but for gods sake keep yourself a backdoor (password) in case you loose the private key.

4. Can this be configure on both internet ip and local ip (eth0 eth1)?

I'm not sure what this question should mean. A ssh server does accept connections from whatever sockets / subnets he was configured to do so.
    Last edited by Kloschüssel; 01-20-2011 at 09:13 AM.