Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello people, I am as much a newbie here as I am a newbie to Linux. To tell you my story in brief, let me say that I am attracted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help Help Help

Hello people,

I am as much a newbie here as I am a newbie to Linux. To tell you my story in brief, let me say that I am attracted to using Linux due to its strong resistance to viruses and spam (unlike windows). Unfortunately my USB broadband adapter's drivers and software (like the connection manger) only run under windows so I can't have internet on Linux. The adapter's company have no support for Linux, and I am using the Ubuntu Gnome version so it seemed fit to get Wine hq in order to run the adapter and get internet. Since the Linux isn't online yet, I can't use the package manager to get it, so I got the Wine application as a whole software bundle. And now I don't know how to get it installed on the Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome to the forums.
    I think you can still get online with Linux but as you say, you cannot use the software they provided you. Wine will probably not work in this case...you might have to use a Windows machine to configure the network but Linux should still be able to get online.
    Which ISP are you using?

*moved this thread here*
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Hello and Welcome to the forums.
    I think you can still get online with Linux but as you say, you cannot use the software they provided you. Wine will probably not work in this case...you might have to use a Windows machine to configure the network but Linux should still be able to get online.
    Which ISP are you using?

*moved this thread here*
    Hi MikeTbob, I am using Mobi (mobi.tm), I was going to post the company's URL but it didn't let me, said I should have 15 posts...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So, I'm kinda confused which isn't surprising because I don't know all that much about MOBI. The machine you want to connect and install Linux on...can you tell us about it? Is it a Laptop? Netbook? Other? Is Linux already installed on it? Give us as much info as possible.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    OK, I had Linux Ubuntu installed on my Win7 HP - Pavilion dv6 laptop using Wubi. However, the USB dongle that is required for the internet does not work on the Linux as it is flawlessly working on Windows because the software regarding it only concern Windows.

Please ask me anything else you want to know about the problem...

So, you don't have Linux installed anymore? You still have the install CD/DVD? Try booting the CD/DVD with the USB dongle plugged in and open a terminal Window and issue this command please and post your output.
    Code:
    sudo lsusb
    This should tell us what exactly you have here.

Just Joined!
    No no man I have Linux, I just installed it over the Windows using Wubi. Now both operating systems are running simultaneously.

As to what you requested here it is: Screenshot1, (Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0482:0204 Kyocera Corp. iBurst Terminal).

And the Connection Manager running on Windows is Screenshot2. (That is part of what needs to be installed on Linux).

And the USB device is Pic1.

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a link that works for some people. You might give it a try and see if it works for you. Let us know if you run into problems or just need advice.
    Jaunty and iBurst USB - Ubuntu Forums

Just Joined!
    Need some help LoL, it's just that I didn't understand step 4) and up from the 2nd post of the thread that you linked me to...