Find the answer to your Linux question:
Perhaps a tad odd question that is not Linux like, but I've got a simple problem: Got a working Linux server and I want to have several sites (doimains) available ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multiple domains on single ip need local dns server?

Perhaps a tad odd question that is not Linux like, but I've got a simple problem:
    Got a working Linux server and I want to have several sites (doimains) available from this server. My ISP told me that I need a DNS server (got BIND 9 atm) if I wish to have multiple domains registered on one physical machine.

I find it a tad odd that I have to have a DNS server on that machine, why can't his DNS server (on his machine) do the redirecting and just redirect to a different local link.

Do I really need a DNS server on my end to have multiple sites on a single public IP address, can't it be done from a remote DNS server?

It must be the nameserver(s), that you use to register a domain.

These can be yours (two are recommended and for several TLDs mandatory)
    or it can be from your provider
    or even 3rd_party.

As nameservers are the basis of every service you intend to run, they need to be reliable and well maintained.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    That's what I thought, thanks. The provider keeps telling me that I need to fix my own name server, but I can use his and it should work the same.

Usually dns setup happens automagically, if you register a new domain with a provider.

At one point in the workflow, there should be a question like "which dns do you want to use?"
    Then one can choose to use the ones from the provider or own ones.

For your own:
    You would need to create the appropiate zones before you continue the domain registration.

Provider dns:
    Dns zone creation happens in the background.

Anyway: A functional DNS is needed for a successful domain registration
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that, my provider has a DNS server but he persuaded me to use my own, but now I begin to realize it's not such a good idea that not only adds extra complexity on my side but also stresses my own server more, which is not good for me.

Thanks for the speedy replies, really glad I could sort out my decision so fast thanks to both of your posts.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHiRider View Post
    Thanks for that, my provider has a DNS server but he persuaded me to use my own, but now I begin to realize it's not such a good idea that not only adds extra complexity on my side but also stresses my own server more, which is not good for me.

Thanks for the speedy replies, really glad I could sort out my decision so fast thanks to both of your posts.
    Hi
    My Prb. is also same i need to host multiple host domain to single server trough virtual hosting concept all running on the same port some java app. too which is running on different port but i have use some proxy pass the java app domain is coming with domain name only

Can you assist on this
    Thanks in advance .............