Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm having an issue with ufw and Synergy. I'm trying to run my Xubuntu 10.10 desktop as a server, and my Xubuntu 10.10 laptop as a client. I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] ufw Blocking Synergy?

Hello. I'm having an issue with ufw and Synergy. I'm trying to run my Xubuntu 10.10 desktop as a server, and my Xubuntu 10.10 laptop as a client. I can do this just fine as long as I either:
    • Have ufw enabled on my client but disabled on my server
    • Have ufw disabled on both my client and my server

I have no custom rules added to iptables on my client. On my server, however, I have tried the following rules:
    • $ ufw allow from 192.168.0.0/24 to any port 24800
    • $ ufw allow from 192.168.0.0/24

Neither of these configurations works. ufw on my server seems to block my client's requests regardless of having port 24800 fully open from any local connection, or just flat-out fully allowing any incoming local connection.

I'm not sure why ufw seems to be ignoring the rules I'm creating, but as it stands right now, the only way I can connect the two is if I have ufw on my server disabled. And I have tried to ping the two machines; each machine can ping the other, even if ufw is running on both. And I can ping the router, as well, from both machines.

Any ideas on where to go from here to troubleshoot? I should probably also add that I am using the same configuration file that I do on vanilla Ubuntu (with updated host names, of course), and I have no problems in Ubuntu. This seems to be specific to ufw and my Xubuntu desktop. I can paste the code for my server's configuration file, if desired.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I fixed it, and I feel really silly. I set the rules to apply to 192.168.0.0/16 instead of 192.168.0.0/24 and now they're working fine. Sigh.