Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Is there any way that I can connect to a remote RedHat Linux 9 OS by using Windows XP Pro?(i need to connect from work from my XP machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote connection

Hello,

Is there any way that I can connect to a remote RedHat Linux 9
    OS by using Windows XP Pro?(i need to connect from work from my XP machine to my Linux box at home) I'd like to know if there is a
    solution such as remote desktop, that way I could install any software
    and make any configurations without physically being on the
    Linux box.

If anyone can outline for me how to do this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for the help.

I download a program for XP called Putty
    this is a unix type shell then if your RH box is behind a router configure your router to port forward port 22 (ssh) to your redhat box and then you can shell to it. (red hat box should be static. shouldn't be a problem unless you have more the 254 computers)
    As far as a gui I wouldn't be much help but I am sure that you could do anything you wanted through a shell.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    I download a program for XP called Putty
    this is a unix type shell then if your RH box is behind a router configure your router to port forward port 22 (ssh) to your redhat box and then you can shell to it. (red hat box should be static. shouldn't be a problem unless you have more the 254 computers)
    As far as a gui I wouldn't be much help but I am sure that you could do anything you wanted through a shell.
    Thank for the advice. The problem is that at home i am behind a firewall (over which i do not have control)

I'm not sure that i would be able to convince my ISP to forword traffic on port 22 to my IP.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by dialtone
    Thank for the advice. The problem is that at home i am behind a firewall (over which i do not have control)

I'm not sure that i would be able to convince my ISP to forword traffic on port 22 to my IP.
    I was assuming that you were behind your own router it is even easier if you don't have a router. You just need to know the ip of your computer. If you do an ifconfig as root that will give you the ip address. enter that ip in the host part of putty and pick ssh and log in as your user.
    that should work for you.

Your ISP doesn't block 22. I am pretty sure they don't block the first 1024 at least and problably don't block any they will leave that up to you.

At least none of my ISP's blocked it.

Let me know if you are really interested because I can make this work for you.

Mike

Just Joined!
    Thank you Mike. Will download Putty today at work and give it a try.
    Will let you guys know

Just Joined!
    Ok. I have Putty at work on my XP machine now. I open it, put in my IP in the hostname field (it is selected on port 22 and ssh)
    A black terminal screen open - hang for a few moments and then just give msg "Network error : connection timed out"

Thing is, at work i am allso behind a firewall.
    1. Should find out of port 22 is open for outgoing traffic on the firewall?
    2. I am sure i did not block port 22 on my machine at home - so that should be fine.
    3. The way my connection work at home is : We live in a complex and as part of the deal there they provide internet connection. I think they have a 256 or 512k shared line that all the people use.
    So it is bassically like a lan, we connect using a normal 100 m/bits lan card.

So am i correct in saying that i (the ISP) do use a router. They have a internet/public IP on the router at the ISP and all the people on the n/w have a private IP (in the 192.168.x.x) range.

Quote Originally Posted by dialtone
    So am i correct in saying that i (the ISP) do use a router. They have a internet/public IP on the router at the ISP and all the people on the n/w have a private IP (in the 192.168.x.x) range.
    I am not sure what you are asking here?
    Is you machine at home a 192.168.x.x?
    IF that is the case we can get around this but I need some more info.

Mike

Just Joined!
    If im understanding good dialtone wants to connect remotely to a linux server on another network. So it is behind a router but he cant control it, nor ask port forwarding.

The point is: Is there any way to connect to a remote linux and pass through the firewall, like logmein which is used in windows.

Dialtone, i never heard of linux to do that. Maybe there is something. But unless u do a port forwarding or u give your linux a public adress u cant do that.