Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a network config as follows: X.8 <---> X.41 X.40 <--->X.16 where X.8 and X.16 are 2 separate workstations and X.40/X.41 are two interface cards in the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Bridge issue!

Hello,

I have a network config as follows:
    X.8 <---> X.41 X.40 <--->X.16
    where X.8 and X.16 are 2 separate workstations and X.40/X.41 are two interface cards in the same machine. Now I apply brctl bridging in the X.40/X.41 machine by adding both the interfaces to the bridge and thereby connecting X.8 and X.16.
    This part is working perfect. But there is no connectivity between X.8 and X.41 and when I try to ping at X.8 to X.41 it gives Destination Host Unreachable.
    Is there a way to achieve this since I require some message to be sent from X.8 to the X.40/X.41 bridge machine.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Hello;
    Could you please provide some networking details ?
    Such as IP address, masks, etc for these interfaces ?

Just Joined!
    also, usually, when you bridge like that, the network interfaces do not have IP. therefore cannot be reached by ping and such

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Post Bridge issue!

Thanks for your reply!
    Well the IP addresses are X = 192.168.0 in the above post such that X.40 translates to 192.168.0.40 and likewise. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 for all of them.
    This is a very simple scenario with only 3 physical machines connected.
    The connection given in my previous post works just perfectly for my requirement.
    I basically want an end-to-end connection between X.8 and X.16 and use the bridge machine for traffic shaping with dummynet.
    Can you suggest any other feasible way that can satisfy my requirement along with the ability to ping between one end machine (X.8 or X.16) to any of the bridge interface (X.40 or X.41)!

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I did something like this a few years ago. as far as i remembered, the bridging interfaces did not have any IP (so you cannot reach them). in my case, the machine that was the bridge had a 3'rh interface used for management.