Find the answer to your Linux question:
If I start a download using curl (in a tty) or firefox, then switch consoles using ctrl-alt-X or alt-X, the following messages show up in syslog and the wireless connection ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    A65
    Just Joined!

wifi dies if i switch console while downloading

If I start a download using curl (in a tty) or firefox, then switch consoles using ctrl-alt-X or alt-X, the following messages show up in syslog and the wireless connection fails.

Code:
    Mar  1 17:48:58 <host> dhcpcd[18211]: wlan0: carrier lost
    Mar  1 17:48:58 <host> kernel: No probe response from AP 00:11:22:22:11:11 after 500ms, disconnecting.
    Mar  1 17:48:58 <host> kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
    I can switch consoles with no problems while browsing or with irc open, but when downloading it causes this problem.

Also, I use radeondrmfb. Because this is a 64-bit powerpc machine (out of the norm hardware), I think it is possible that a "hiccup" is occurring at the kernel level when radeondrmfb is handling the console switch, and that is causing/preventing whatever manages the wireless card to fail to process any AP probe responses, leading to the kernel seeing no response and disassociating. could this be possible? I have rebuilt a kernel with verbose printk of the syslog "no probe response" message shown above, and am going to test it tomorrow.

thanks for your help

A65
    Just Joined!
    I've found loading b43 with pio=1 prevents this problem. I have two questions though.

1) How do I get the kernel to load b43 with pio=1? The module is not being loaded by any of my init scripts, can I use b43.pio=1 as a kernel argument?
    2) I read PIO is slow and will bog down the cpu. top is showing 17% cpu usage now for irq/60-b43. How do I get DMA to work right with this wireless card?