Find the answer to your Linux question:
First, thank you to whoever helps me. I don't post much in these forums but I'm trying to get back into linux before a college course next semester. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS Server lingo/implementation -- Help!

First, thank you to whoever helps me. I don't post much in these forums but I'm trying to get back into linux before a college course next semester. I have looked over a lot of how to's, done some forum searching but the jargon is just stumping me.

If you know of a good how to that details what I'm looking for, I'd be happy to read it!

I'm trying to use debian (newest version, no options installed. Just a CLI. Network is up, I can access ftp via wu-ftpd) to set up for a home dns server. This server will be running some other servers as well, so it won't be going to waste.

I just want this DNS server to the first "stop" for DNS requests to speed up my dns queries. Have it cache a list and whenever it doesn't have a copy, request one from opendns and google dns.

I'm currently running pfsense as the router, can I get the same functionality from that? I know it has dns out of the box, but was just curious if it cached them for later use.

On Debian, you just install bind9. By default it will set
    up a caching nameserver.

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install bind9
    You would need to do additional configuration if you
    wanted to resolve local addresses, or serve for a domain
    owned by you.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info! I was suprised it worked that easily out of the box!