Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to share a file via Samba on a Ubuntu server that is actually stored on a FreeNAS box. The FreeNAS drives are mounted via NFS and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sharing files from NAS

Hi,

I'm trying to share a file via Samba on a Ubuntu server that is actually stored on a FreeNAS box. The FreeNAS drives are mounted via NFS and the Samba share contains a symlink to file on the FreeNAS drive.

Browsing the Samba share I can see the file and size, but any attempt to read the file fails. It complains about authentication but all credentials across all machines are the same.

So, is it possible to share a file this way or is there another way to do this?
    I know I could create all the profiles on the FreeNAS box but for convenience and ease of maintenance I was hoping to do this via the Ubuntu server.

P.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If the symlink target is not in the Samba mount area, then it will be inaccessible to the user. You need to set up the nfs mount so that it is directly accessible to the Samba/CIFS user. You can have multiple mounts to an NFS device, and you can configure your /etc/fstab so that users can mount the device to a mount point locally in their home area. You need to study both the mount(, nfs, samba, and CIFS documentation to determine the best way for you to do this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!