Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've configured an FC14 installation and have been able to do everything over the internet as needed. Then I added a VPN client and can connect to the VPN. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ping hangs when connected over VPN

I've configured an FC14 installation and have been able to do everything over the internet as needed. Then I added a VPN client and can connect to the VPN. I can't ping a server I know is available on the VPN. Ping hangs, not getting any response (including timing out).

My other Linux box (running all of the same software) can get to the server on the other side of the VPN so I know everything is okay except for my configuration.

I had the same problem when I originally configured the other system and remember that I had to manually edit some setting in a file but don't remember what it was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Dave

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The router configuration on the VPN server is probably blocking ping messages. Can you run nslookup to find addresses of remote systems over the VPN?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I think you missed part of my explanation. There is nothing wrong with the VPN. I can ping it from other Linux boxes (including what I think is an identically-configured FC14 PC).

I believe the problem was something to do with an over-zealous level of protection on the Linux client box. I know I had to manually change (i.e., text-edit) SOME setting in a configuration file but don't remember what it was.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. So you can ping outside your LAN, hosts on the Internet, from the other clients over the VPN? If so, then you may be right about the one client being improperly configured.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Problem solved. I compared setups between the working and non-working configurations and found that I had to add the following to /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables:

-A INPUT =m --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 1194 -j ACCEPT

After doing this, everything worked as required. I'm not sure exactly how that got into the original configuration but clearly that is a port specificationb that was missing from the new (previously non-working) one.

Now onto the real work...

Thanks for your attempt to help.