Find the answer to your Linux question:
I always have Conky running to monitor system performance and I've noticed that my download rate is quite high, actually between 800KB/s and 1MB/s . To try to get to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Discovering Network Hog

I always have Conky running to monitor system performance and I've noticed that my download rate is quite high, actually between 800KB/s and 1MB/s. To try to get to the bottom of this, I downloaded a neat little tool called 'NetHogs' which dynamically lists your processes that access a network and what their up/down rates are.

I ran NetHogs after a fresh reboot. All I've done is run startx to start OpenBox, tint2, feh, conky and xterm. I'm also running Chromium while I type this.

Here are the results:
    Code:
    # nethogs
    Chromium / Sent: 0.039 / Received: 0.026
    Unknown TCP / Sent: 0.000 / Received: 0.000
    And that's pretty much it! Now I just need to find out what's downloading the rest of the data.. Unless Conky is just spewing non-sense. Might I be able to do this using the /proc directory or maybe using netstat? I'm investigating these methods at the moment.

I'd like to add that it isn't always like this. Earlier today I would barely go over 300KB's (and I had rtorrent open).

If you have any ideas or tips please share

You can probably find out even more with the netstat command, it'll list even Xorg connections, which might be what you are seeing above.
    Code:
    netstat -a
    See the help page with
    Code:
    netstat --help
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Sweet. The day has come where I can actually use and learn about netstat for solving a 'real-life' issue!

Thanks, Mike. Oddly enough, my down speed is at 322KB/s now with rtorrent running capped at 300KB/s. So what ever was doing all that downloading appears to be in hiding.. For now..

I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close