Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I wanted to know if samba when multiple users are connected it will distribute the Download/Upload speeds according to the amount of clients on the samba share downloading. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Does Samba Limit Upload/Downlaod Speeds?

Hey guys I wanted to know if samba when multiple users are connected it will distribute the Download/Upload speeds according to the amount of clients on the samba share downloading. I ask this because I have a Wi-Fi server that is connected to the Samba File Share Server and It limits me around 3.5-4.0 MB/s downloading a file over wireless n and when I stream video from the samba share while downloading it will say that im getting speeds of 7.0 MB/s so in theory my guess is that samba limits the Download/ Upload speeds to manage the clients with out missing files and screwing things up correct?

-Please Help If You Can, Thanks in Advance

Every protocols throughput consists of:

data + payload

I'm not samba expertized but I guess that it transfers some meta data like CRC checks back tot he server to ensure data integrity, thus you approximately get a real data throughput of 3.5-4.0M/s, but data+payload sum up to the physically possible 7M/s.

MPEG has no such problems as it does not care about data integrity. It is a streaming format that in the worst case will show you a poor video quality for approx. 2 seconds until the next key frame is sent.