Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, guys this is shan and i'm using a dell n5010 recently i installed ubuntu9.10 in my laptop and it doesn't seem to detect wireless connections, so, i googled it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy wifi not working in dell n5010 after installing ubuntu

hi, guys this is shan and i'm using a dell n5010 recently i installed ubuntu9.10 in my laptop and it doesn't seem to detect wireless connections, so, i googled it and downloaded a driver from broadcom and tried to install it as per the authors instructions and nothing seems to work well, the broadcom drivers are not detected in the additional drivers and when i try to install linux-wlan-ng tarballs it doesn't seem to work even, though i have gcc(i think thats it), so, i installed my windows driver through nsdgtk but it says that it is "unable to see if hardware is present" but, when i click ok on the error the wireless network applet says the hardware is present and when i click the network configuration tool it gives the error message "could not find a network configuration tool" and after configuring my network with network tools in administration it says "no wireless extensions" when i type 'iwconfig' and there is no ip address when i type "ipconfig". so guys pl help me out here i'm a total noob when it comes to ubuntu and i don't have a internet connection too.

and after running a bash script downloaded from this forum i got a out put and i have attached it here it is full of information regarding iptables and such after running ifconfig -bash script courtesy of miketbob

wireless_setup.txt

you need to install the firmware
    without firmware NO wifi HW found/detected
    nowadays that is included in linux dists (opensuse)
    else you take the firmware from your win partition
    and use fwcutter