Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am working on my master thesis and need an open and free BSD packet generator tool. I have some features that is more or less i must. 1. Generate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Packet Generator

I am working on my master thesis and need an open and free BSD
    packet generator tool.
    I have some features that is more or less i must.

1. Generate RTP packets
    2. Generate packet trains with statistical appature time of the "train" (Poisson)
    3. Very fast and close to kernel to avoid delays from executing in user space.

I have i hard time finding a tool for this purpose and hope some one can help me.

Thanks

Ostinato recently showed up on freshmeat
    ostinato - Packet/Traffic Generator and Analyzer - Google Project Hosting

Looks interesting, but I donīt have personal experience (yet) due to time constraints.

For *bsd, you will need to build it from source though (and/or package it yourself)
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Linux Newbie
    Hping is also good, but I'm not sure if it meets your needs.

DITG ( ..:: D-ITG, Distributed Internet Traffic Generator ::.. ) is a useful generator I have used for my own Masters Thesis. You can get the source code and compile for whatever OS you are using. There is also a nice Java interface which gets around the need to use the terminal all the time.
    I also used Netperf for a few things also.
    I didn't find any tools which gave me the exact statistical information I wanted, so just take the raw data and extract the statistical aspects yourself.
    I found also that there were no significant delays at all from "executing in user space". Silicon works so fast these days that any delays are likely to be well hidden in amongst the noise of hardware, protocol, software and external fuzzing.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help, i will look at them in the week and hope one will do the job !
    D-ITG i have tried but get to much delays from the program it self, so i need something
    running closer to the kernel. But a very good programe any way !

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by basicjava View Post
    Thanks for the help, i will look at them in the week and hope one will do the job !
    D-ITG i have tried but get to much delays from the program it self, so i need something
    running closer to the kernel. But a very good programe any way !
    The closest thing that gets to kernel level is the kernel's own netfilter which can be configured through iptables... but it's hard to generate packets that way. Although I think the netfilter API can be used to make a packet generator.

Just Joined!
    Maybe i have to dig in to the kernel and IP-tables, but my thesis dont gice me that time
    =( There is kernel based generators such as CUTE but that program is somewhat limited in features. But i will look into the suggestions beeing posted here so thx all !