Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just bought a new Linksys E1000. Works for LAN, but if I try to bridge the connection the Mac is picking up through wifi into the internet port of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bridge wifi connection from Mac to router to Ubuntu Desktop

Just bought a new Linksys E1000. Works for LAN, but if I try to bridge the connection the Mac is picking up through wifi into the internet port of the router, it can't send the signal to the other ports. A friend suggested a crossover cable, since possibly an ethernet cord can't do what I'm wanting to do.

It works just like it should with a wall jack, but the thing is I would like to pick up the campus' wifi and put it into a router for my room. Thanks

How are you trying to share the connection?

Are you trying to hook up a modem into a Mac... then use that as your access point?
    If so, I think there should be something in the network settings to share or broadcast the wireless signal.

Never really sat down at a Mac, so you might need a little more info than that.

Just Joined!
    For the dorms, there is only wifi that we connect to, no ethernet port. My Mac is the only computer that can access the wifi, however. I can click internet share so that it picks up the wifi signal and sends it out through an ethernet cord; this works fine for one computer, one xbox, etc. But if I put this into the internet port on the router, it will not recognize the signal.

A friend who works on computers, and has done this my Mac before, said he did it with a crossover cable, and perhaps I need that. If I need to buy one I will, though I was just wondering if it were possible otherwise.

I did a little Googling. I believe you actually will need a crossover for this.

Other than that, it sounds like you've got the rest of it ready to go.

Just Joined!
    I went out and bought a crossover cable earlier, but am having the same problem. Now I'm trying to mess with MAC addresses, changing DNS and trying to match IP and etc. upon etc.

The router my friend did this with was a netgear, and he advised getting a linksys (which was the same price, name brand, and much better quality for the same price). That's the only other variable here, other than the computers trying to connect to the router. I've emailed him, but not sure when I'll get a reply. It must be a way of tricking the router into thinking that this [crossover] ethernet is an internet connection.

If it helps at all, the IP on my mac is a 169. etc. one, while the other computer is a 192.168.1.x one...which is linksys specific.

Try using all of your IP settings to DHCP.
    The router should pull an IP that starts with a 10 from the Mac.
    It can then pass that connection through to your other devices.

Just Joined!
    Both were already set up to auto DHCP. The Linux computer is still picking up a 192. ip, as well as the Windows side of it. Now that I've been messing with it, I can't even share internet through the ethernet, and when an ethernet cord is plugged in I get a DNS lookup error on the Mac, and can't get internet (though Transmission is unaffected). This seems to have went from "over my head" to just messing things up for me.

This one is beyond me.
    I don't really know enough about Macs to know the network settings for sharing.