Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just switched broadband providers, and even though I set the new gateway to the same IP address and everything, my Debian (VMWare) machines don't resolve DNS. I found this: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems after getting new Wan/Lan Gateway

I just switched broadband providers, and even though I set the new gateway to the same IP address and everything, my Debian (VMWare) machines don't resolve DNS.

I found this:
    Code:
    bash prompt# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Generated by NetworkManager
    domain gateway.2wire.net
    search gateway.2wire.net
    nameserver 192.168.1.254
    and furthermore the file resolv.conf is not a symbolic link. I found some information on the Web concerning "Network Manager" but no simple answer on how to "kick it" to recognize that the 2wire device is gone and something else has been installed (although I kept it at 192.168.1.254). I guess I could copy the DNS addresses as reported my my Windows machine (which did figure it out!) to the interfaces file, but I want to fix it "right".

(from my interfaces file)
    Code:
    # The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
       address 192.168.1.25
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       gateway 192.168.1.254
    Please advise.

Windows figured this out because it is most likely using DHCP which would provide this information.

I take it you are using static addresses on your linux box so you need to update the resolv.conf file by hand. Simply copy the DNS ip address from the windows machine to the resolv.conf file replacing the ip address listed on the line with nameserver.

You also might want to think about changing the domains on the 2 lines above this also to show the correct domain.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted