Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys! I'm studying a little bit of the internet/network security, in particular I'm testing a honeypot called "nepenthes" (it is one of those called low interaction honeypots, like honeyd). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Honeypot reaction

Hello guys!

I'm studying a little bit of the internet/network security, in particular I'm testing a honeypot called "nepenthes" (it is one of those called low interaction honeypots, like honeyd). My question is, aside from the honeypot used, how can I see a honeypot's reaction? in other words, how can I simulate a scene that stimulate my honeypot? I'm looking for something very simple!

Thank you! Bye!

nepenthes has some built in testing modules you can activate, check the doc on how to turn on and tickle them.

But dionaea is considered to be the obsolescent nepenthes successor package.

Linux User
    Have you heard of "Damn Vunerable Linux"? It is an OS designed to train security people. I haven't used it myself, but I too have started to become more interested in learning about Linux security and system hardning, and I have been thinking about installing it onto my VirtualBox client.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ramin.honary View Post
    Have you heard of "Damn Vunerable Linux"? It is an OS designed to train security people. I haven't used it myself, but I too have started to become more interested in learning about Linux security and system hardning, and I have been thinking about installing it onto my VirtualBox client.
    DVL's website is kind of strange. It says they are working on Version 2, but has no links to version 1, no documents, no contact us, etc.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtdriver View Post
    DVL's website is kind of strange. It says they are working on Version 2, but has no links to version 1, no documents, no contact us, etc.
    Yeah, they seem to be having an outage. I guess they were using their own distribution to run their server? (Ha, ha, just joking!)

I don't know what happened. I hope you can still download it, I was hoping to play around with it.