Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been away from Linux for awhile and decided to get back in using a system that had been running XP32 bit for several years. I have not been able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eth0: No connectivity

I've been away from Linux for awhile and decided to get back in using a system that had been running XP32 bit for several years.

I have not been able to get networking working under Linux. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu 11.04 and currently the 64 bit version of Fedora 15. Hardware is 64 bit capable

Motherboard has 2 NICs. Linux picks up both as eth0 and eth1. Connection fails on both NICs. I have one network cable and have tried it in both NICs with same result

an ifconfig shows eth0, eth1, and lo. Whichever NIC has the cable plugged in comes up with an IP6 address but no IP4 address. I'm assuming the IP6 address is an automatic address as the router is an older Linksys BEFSR model which does not support IP6.

I have noticed that whenever I have the Linux system that I'm having connectivity problems on is connected to the router that it screws with the router. It started with the laptop I was looking for an answer on constantly losing network connection and my Roku video getting interrupted. I checked the router and found that all of the link lights were going crazy and then went dark every few seconds, then going crazy, then going dark, etc. Only happens when the Linux box is connected

Problem is occuring on a fresh install from CD. No updates or patches have been applied (kind of hard to apply updates without Internet). Any config changes I have made were a result of unsuccessful fixes to this problem that I found on the Internet (which I subsequently undid after failure).

Thanks

I guess we need more facts
    about
    your desktop KDE or GNOME or ?
    what network manager do you use KDE or GNOME
    for eth0 the networking should be easier, but I have no more eth0 for almost a year (only wlan and 3.5G broadband)
    but whatever network manager you have installed
    you need there to ENABLE networking first!!

you may also use the traditional ifup method if that works better for you

also about your IP4/IP6
    in your network manager you can chose one or both
    older routers may get messed up and you select IP4 only instead of IP6 or both

and as a general rule for fresh installs from DVD
    after all basic install finished
    FIRST make a full update of all!
    Last edited by hans51; 05-28-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Just Joined!
    Gnome, I think. Whatever Fedora's default is. I don't know what the name of the network manager is.

$sudo ifup eth0
    Active connection state: activating
    Active connection path: /org/freedesktop/networkManager/ActiveConnection/4

** (process:168 : WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'State' for /org/freedesktop/networkManager/ActiveConnection/4: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

state: unknown
    Error: Connection activation failed

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    look at your installed packages to KNOW what you have
    KDE or GNOME and what wireless packages are installed
    then ADD missing wifi packages, drivers, firmware for your precise wifi HW and desktop you have.

what wireless chip you have ? broadcomm or ??

then see if you have drivers AND firmware if needed installed in your Linux packages
    then if you know all above and have added what was missing
    you find recent threads HERE in forum for remaining problems if any.

Just Joined!
    Found a Solution. Add the following to rc.local:

rmmod forcedeth
    modprobe forcedeth msi=0 msix=0
    /etc/init.d/networking restart