Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
One of my pet peeves is companies having tiered plans for data, internet, or whatever, but can't explain to the consumer what level of service they need. You either get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

One of my pet peeves is companies having tiered plans for data, internet, or whatever, but can't explain to the consumer what level of service they need. You either get sold the low level plan and are assured most users wont exceed that level, only to get hit with overage charges, or sold an expensive plan that you don't need. Without easy to use tools to monitor or estimate bandwidth usage I'm left in the dark and at the mercy of the salesman.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Well after tromping through the link Jay posted I was able to find the AT&T bandwidth meter but it doesn't work for now. They could have made it a little easier and how in the world Jay found it, I have no clue.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Jay has worked for two ISP's and he knows where they hide their toys
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Too often those toys come "Batteries not included"
    Registered Linux user #526930

I can't find the link that I'm pulling this from, but I read on AT&T's site that if the meter doesn't give you a reading, then you're nowhere near your monthly usage cap, and that if you do get a reading, that the measurement is typically 2-3 days behind.
    I'm thinking that there has got to be a way to see what your usage is, so calling your ISP is probly gonna be the best bet.
    See what types of tools they might be using.

FWIW, Comcast customers should take note of that, because they use similar software to measure bandwidth usage.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Seems every ISP is playing the cap game.
    My ISP first stated there were no caps. Then they said it was 50 GB's per month. Then they changed it to 50 GB's per month during peak hours (5 pm - 1 am) and unlimited for off peak.

They then changed it again to 250 GB's per month total.
    Started sending bills for $1 per GB for being over the limit although they never notified the customers about the changes.
    Many customers are fighting those charges.

But they do offer and easy way to check your bandwidth and it is always up to date. On their home page you click on support then gateway usage.

If companies are going to start capping bandwidth they need to make it easy for the customer to know how much they have used and have an accurate account of that usage.
    Without that they will have a hard time defending a dispute of an overage bill.

I must say that 250 GB's a month is a lot of bandwidth to use and I have never come anywhere near it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaZMAniac View Post
    Seems every ISP is playing the cap game.
    My ISP first stated there were no caps. Then they said it was 50 GB's per month. Then they changed it to 50 GB's per month during peak hours (5 pm - 1 am) and unlimited for off peak.

They then changed it again to 250 GB's per month total.
    Started sending bills for $1 per GB for being over the limit although they never notified the customers about the changes.
    Many customers are fighting those charges.

But they do offer and easy way to check your bandwidth and it is always up to date. On their home page you click on support then gateway usage.

If companies are going to start capping bandwidth they need to make it easy for the customer to know how much they have used and have an accurate account of that usage.
    Without that they will have a hard time defending a dispute of an overage bill.

I must say that 250 GB's a month is a lot of bandwidth to use and I have never come anywhere near it.
    I agree, 250GB is a lot, but I really want to make sure I'm not going over the total with my habit of downloading distros and whatnot.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Really a useful information !!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2