Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I've been playing around with Samba in Debian, trying to make a share with a Windows 7 machine. To access my Samba share, I go to run and enter ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with Samba, trying to connect with a Windows machine

So I've been playing around with Samba in Debian, trying to make a share with a Windows 7 machine. To access my Samba share, I go to run and enter the IP of the Debian machine. I was prompted to enter a user and pass. When I try adding a file to the share it tells me something about spelling it wrong. I can also access the home folder of the account I entered when I was prompted earlier, but when I try adding a file it says that I don't have permission.

However I think I was supposed to enter the user and pass of the Windows machine, not the user and pass of a linux user as I did previously.

In other words, I think I need to create an account in Debian with the same user and pass as the Windows machine that will access the share.

However, when I enter the ip in run again, it does not give me the prompt to enter the user and pass again, so I don't know what to do from here.

Let me know if any of my assumptions were wrong, I am less than a newbie right now.

Just Joined!
    Alright, so I'm trying this again following a guide on youtube. Basically the guide lets me avoid bothering with users and password as smb.conf has a line: security = share.

After doing all that, I can see the name of my server "Debianserver" on the network panel of windows explorer, but when i click it I get this error:

"Windows cannot access \\DEBIANSERVER
    Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network...

Error code: 08x0070035
    The network path was not found"