Find the answer to your Linux question:
Setting up a Linux box on my home network. Would like to mount a shared directory on a Windows XP machine. Can mount the shared directory as smbfs w/o problem, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mounting smbfs on windows xp from debian linux

Setting up a Linux box on my home network. Would like to mount a shared directory on a Windows XP machine. Can mount the shared directory as smbfs w/o problem, but access is denied when trying to list the directory.

The same thing happens when using smbclient with or without user, password, workgroup. This would seem to be a Windows XP permission/authentication issue. What am I missing? Running XP sp 2.

is this happening inside "program files" or "windows"?
    cos if so, then here's the deal:
    afaik windows doesn't allow sharing of those folders and a couple others
    sucks huh
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    No, it's a regular directory that can be accessed from another Windows box (the last time I tried, prior to SP2).

Linux Engineer
    What right did you set to this folder?
    SP2 tends to remove everyone alot... I had a similar issue on some XP/Linux network
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Actually I just got this working. Here's the story:

"Everyone" had Full Control, Change, Read on the share. "Everyone" also had permission to list the directory contents and read on the shared directory.

What I just did was set the permission for "Everyone" on the "administrative share" on the C drive (C$) to allow Read and List. That now allows me to read and write the files in the shared directorty via SMB.

So this seems to have something to do with the "administrative share" on XP. I have a feeling "list" is what's required, but will have to do some XP security reading...

Just Joined!
    This doesn't explain why when I connected (or tried to) as a priviledged user, access was denied. And I'm still having problems printing to the printer attached to the XP via SMB. The FAQs on this seem to predate the security enhancements to XP SP2. If I figure it out I'll post...

Linux Engineer
    Once again i'm only giving you this as is since I dont use Samba,

If you want to print, dont forget that your printer might have the "SPOOL" option checked on, which meens it will write temp file to %windir%/system32/spool if this folder doesnt have the proper right then nothing will work.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion. You may be right, but I got around the problem by using a priveledged user logon for the printer. I guess part of my problem was understanding the correct way to specify the userid:

1) The "logon" has to include the machine name: MACHINE\user

2) This only works if a password has been set up in Windows for that user. Leaving the password blank is not an option.

I can now share files and print to my hearts content from the Linux box to my Windows XP box.