Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, first post so let me know if I'm putting this in the wrong place or if you need more info. I've seen a lot on SSH text based ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server Side Browsing over SSH

Hey everyone, first post so let me know if I'm putting this in the wrong place or if you need more info.

I've seen a lot on SSH text based browsing or SSH tunneling for secure browsing via your local machine; however, I was wondering the two concepts have ever been combined.

For instance, is there a browser that runs via SSH to your host (either private or a shared server), but the session (cookies and downloads) all pull down to the server machine?

I know it's not necessarily ultra useful, but when overseas I could see some usefulness when it comes to pulling several files for multiple individuals where the country or the connection is behind a firewall.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Isn't that mostly how a (http) proxy would behave? Of course that special proxy can hidden to the public when it accepts only local connections. Connecting to it via ssh (creating a tunneled connection) would let you access the proxy through the tunnel.

SSH connection browsing without apache - just on server filesystem is done using konqueror and fish:// protocol
    fish://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/
    would be how to connect to / or your server (NOT root of your webspace!!!)

authentication via installed server keys

never do things more complicated than absolutely necessary - not sure if what you want is really needed. I love since 10+ yrs thousands of miles away from my remote controlled root servers and above is about all i do besides regular SSH shell connections

then if you split your window - one local, one remote
    you can drag and drop both ways between local and remote as well as you can locally with a file browser

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close