Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there! I am working on a linux machine (research work) it is connected through a personal router (wifying my office) which is in turn connected to a service provider's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face Dynamic Ip address

Hello there!

I am working on a linux machine (research work) it is connected through a personal router (wifying my office) which is in turn connected to a service provider's router (DHCP enabled).

I would like to locate my machine on the internet as I am going to another city for a month (research center) and continue my work at my office.

My question is how to know my ip address of my machine at any given time to connect to it. As ip is dynamically changing can i write it down somewhere so that I can acess that when ip changes after expiry time!

Any help in terms of links or steps to be followed is welcome.

thanks in advance

PS: Please try to be detail rather tangential in replying as I am new to linux

Any device that receives a dynamic IP will try to keep the address that was previously allocated to it.
    So it's entirely possible for you to have the same IP for months at a time.
    That being said, it's not a guarantee. There is really no definitive way to know what IP will be assigned to you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Since you are behind a router check if it supports (DDNS) Dynamic DNS. Then search google for DynDNS and avail the free DNS Service and proceed with router configuration.

Configure iptables to accept the ssh connections in linux machine and also configure the port forwarding of ssh in your router. Then using an ssh client you can connect to your machine using a domain name.