Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, im wondering if it is possible to have a samba share on my ubuntu 9.10 desktop version to my win 7 desktop, of my sftp users root.I have an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba share issue

Hello, im wondering if it is possible to have a samba share on my ubuntu 9.10 desktop version to my win 7 desktop, of my sftp users root.I have an sftp server set up via ssh with a rooted user "sftpuser" and i would like to have that same folder shared to my main pc's desktop so i can just drop stuff into it. Im sure this is possible but im just not sure how. I have followed some guides on making samba shares to win 7 but they all make their own new user for it and chroot it. None are using an existing rooted user.

Trusted Penguin
    Yes, you should be able to do that - at least I just did it. In my example, my sftp chrooted user is "test", and the homedir is /home/test (which is owned by root, per sftp root reqmts) and the subdir "data" is the sftp area for the user.

Put something like this in your smb.conf
    Code:
    [testdata]
        comment = user test's sftp data
        path = /home/test/data
        valid users = test
        browseable = no
        guest ok = no
        writable = yes
        printable = no
    Then restart the samba daemon:
    Code:
     /etc/init.d/smb restart
    Also, add the test user to the samba password file:
    Code:
    smbpasswd -a test
    Then from your Windows box try to access the "testdata" share on your Linux box, as your "test" user.