Find the answer to your Linux question:
I made changes to dhcpd.conf on the dhcp server and I was told that I had to "service dhcpd restart" for it to work. Will this affect other servers that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Does restarting dhcpd affect other servers?

I made changes to dhcpd.conf on the dhcp server and I was told that I had to "service dhcpd restart" for it to work.

Will this affect other servers that have leased an IP from it or anything?

You can either issue that command in a terminal, or reboot your machine.
    It will not really affect any other services that you have running, except that it will interrupt a network connection on your computer.

To simplify, it turns off your network capabilities, then turns them back on using your new configuration.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Will it affect other servers that have leased an IP from it?

Trusted Penguin
    No, the other servers hang on to their ip addresses until their leases expire. They won't care about the daemon restarting, unless their network connection is restarted (service network restart, e.g.) and they can't get to the DHCP server b/c it is rebooting, e.g., or you've made a change to the dhcp config file that no longer permits them an ip address.

If I were you, i'd back up the original dhcpd.conf file and keep it on hand until you know all is well.

Also should another device be placed onto the network it may get an ip address of a device that is already using that ip address.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted