Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello I am using cooperative linux (colinux) enviorement with the host os as windows XP . I dont have any idea how to proceed with setting the network interfacing in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Colinux Networking Configuration !!

Hello I am using cooperative linux (colinux) enviorement with the host os as windows XP .

I dont have any idea how to proceed with setting the network interfacing in tgis enviorement as I am using Linux based operating ssystem for the first time

Any body who have experience on colinux can please explain me about the setting of ip adresses and gateway configuration inside the colinux enviorement so that the colinux can have acess to the internet as right now when I type command

"apt-get update" I received lots of erros like this

Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.gwdg.de'

and lots like ........

Failed to fetch ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/debian/debian/dists/stable/main/bin ary-i386/Packages.gz Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.gwdg.de'

I know I have to setup some networking configuration before it worked , but I don't have any idea about that

Can any body please provide me detail help in the network configuration .

Thanks in advance and waiting for the reply

Trusted Penguin
    I have no idea about colinux, but maybe some generic Linux commands will help. How is your box connected to the internet, ISP cable modem? Router?

Show your IP config:
    Code:
    ip a
    Show your network devices:
    Code:
    ls /sys/class/net
    Show the contents of your DNS confg file:
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Show your routing table:
    Code:
    route -n

Just Joined!
    colinux:/# ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:560 (560.0 b) TX bytes:560 (560.0 b)

Network Devices

colinux:/sys/class/net# ls -l
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 27 15:31 eth0
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 27 15:31 lo
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 27 15:31 sit0

DNS Config file

colinux:/etc# cat resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.149.1

Routine table

colinux:/# route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

These are the outputs I got by applying your mentioned commands on colinux

These are

Trusted Penguin
    You have an eth0 network adapter, but it is not up. I forgot one file - show the contents of the networking config file:

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    Try to bring the device up:
    Code:
    ifup eth0
    Then do ifconfig again.

You may also need to add a default route. Do you know the ip address of your router/gateway?

Where did that DNS server ip address come from (in resolv.conf)?

Just Joined!
    Every time I have to set the value of eth0 network adapter and set it up, but as I closed my colinux it loses again, how to save the configuration of network adapter ??

Networking configuration file :

colinux:/etc/network# cat interfaces
    # Used by ifup( and ifdown(. See the interfaces(5) manpage or
    # /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.

auto lo eth0

#iface eth0 inet static
    # address 192.168.37.20
    # gateway 192.168.0.1
    # netmask 255.255.255.0

iface lo inet loopback

now after doing the eth0 up, thats the configuration

colinux:~# ifconfig eth0 192.168.37.20 up
    colinux:~# ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:FF:39:9F:00:00
    inet addr:192.168.37.20 Bcast:192.168.37.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::2ff:39ff:fe9f:0/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:238 (238.0 b)
    Interrupt:2

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:560 (560.0 b) TX bytes:560 (560.0 b)

but every time i loses the status of my eth0 network adapter and I have to set it every time !!! Is there any command to save this configuration.

How to add default route ?? from where I will know the ip adress of my gateway may be you are asking about the networking properties of TAP-win32 network adapter (used by the colinux to make communication with the host os (windows xp) )

it hase the following TCP/IP properties

ip adress : 192.168.37.10
    subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway : 192.168.0.1

and I am not using any values in the preffered and alternate DNS server.

Just Joined!
    Also I dont know about that DNS server Ip adress I just type the command as you said and this is the output I got

colinux:/etc# cat resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.149.1
    colinux:/etc#

Trusted Penguin
    To save your eth0 settings just uncomment those lines from your /etc/network/interfaces file, e.g.:
    Code:
    auto lo eth0

iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.37.20
     gateway 192.168.0.1
     netmask 255.255.255.0
    That gateway line should add the default route, too.

Just Joined!
    means should I need to add the default gateway here too ?? or it looks fine ??

What are the others setting so that it can acess internet using my pc network adapter ??

And do you have any idea that how to make a telnet server or ssh like in linux . to make some TCP/IP communication .

I have cobra5329 board with me Now I want to make telnet server on the board for further communication

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by zawii87 View Post
    means should I need to add the default gateway here too ?? or it looks fine ??
    I'm not sure what your question means, but if you include the above "gateway" line, uncommented, in your /etc/network/interfaces file, then your default route should be set up. If you have a Windows box that is on the same LAN that is already connected to the internet, open up a command prompt and do this command to get the default route and the DNS servers:
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    What are the others setting so that it can access internet using my pc network adapter ??
    You need the DNS servers for that. They will go in the /etc/resolv.conf file, just like how you have "nameserver 192.168.149.1" (I'm not so sure that that IP address is right, but it might be). Once you get the DNS servers (either from your Windows box, or your ISP's router, or your Network Admin), put them in that file (and comment out 192.168.149.1 if you know it to be bad).

Note: Colinux is like a virtual machine inside your Windows box, is this true? I'm not really sure how networking will work in this environment. I'm not saying it won't, I'm just not familiar with it.

And do you have any idea that how to make a telnet server or ssh like in linux . to make some TCP/IP communication .

I have cobra5329 board with me Now I want to make telnet server on the board for further communication
    If you want to set up a telnet or ssh server on your cobra board, then I'd recommend using any tools/software that came with the board to do that. I'm sure it is running some custom embedded version of Linux that would require their assistance. Often, an SSH server is already running on such devices, though. Just try to ssh to the ip address of the device (if you've set that up already) from your colinux box.

Colinux should already have the ssh client (and server) installed. If you want to telnet to the cobra board, then you might have to install the telnet package.

Just Joined!
    Really Thanks regarding the networking configuration, I dont need to connect colinux to the internet right now so I will do that all settings later . Focus is on now making a telnet server.Yes you are right you can considered it as a virtual machine running on my host operating system and make its connection with my host operating system via TAP-win32 adapter.

I have both options to run colinux on windows or to run it on Linux based operating system . it provides me both options during the setup procedure of colinux. Right now I am runing it on windows, but later If i thought that its of much helpful to rum it on linux then may I can change it to linux one it's of no problem

Right now there is telnet host present on the cobra board, But I want to make my board server not host.

The only software that comes with the cobar board is the colinux which is used to compile my code and make binary file which I can Later have to download to the board via tftp server thats is .

I don't know weather the ssh server is running on the board or not if it is running then how to access it for the communication ??. about the Telnet server I am sure that there is only telnet client present on the board not any server, so for that I think I have to download any telnet server and just like my binary file have to download it to the board . But I dont have any idea that how to do all this stuff ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast