Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello folks, i've a small problem .I am using a smartlink56kvoicemodem and have downloaded the drivers for that.I wanted to connect to my isp "bsnl" which is one of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i am not able to connect to my isp through linux

hello folks,
    i've a small problem .I am using a smartlink56kvoicemodem and have downloaded the drivers for that.I wanted to connect to my isp "bsnl" which is one of the isp's in india.Well i am new to linux and am interested in connecting to the net through linux os.I've tried till some extent and failed to succeed.I've used kppp to dial to my isp bsnl.Even my network configuration wizard has failed to activate my account.When i try to activate the bsnl network an error shows up as failed to activate bsnl interface with error2.Someone out there plz tell me a step by step procedure to get me access to the internet through this os.

Linux Guru
    If your modem is correctly set up in your system, you should be able to dial the isp to make a connection. You should be able to hear the modem send the telephone number signals and you should be able to hear the tones exchanged by the two modems for the handshake. If you are not able to do this, then the problem is in the setup of your hardware, drivers, etc.

If you are able to do this, but are unable to connect in the handshake procedure, research wvdial. At the command line, enter
    Code:
    man wvdial
    to see what is required.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better