Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I used my computer this morning, but when I returned this evening, I am unable to reach the internet. Also the light on the mobo where the ethernet cable is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Suddenly cannot reach internet

I used my computer this morning, but when I returned this evening, I am unable to reach the internet. Also the light on the mobo where the ethernet cable is plugged in is steady yellow.

My limited experience would tell me it is a hardware failure, but it seems so strange with nothing going on during the day. How might I best diagnose the problem?

Try fiddling with it through the command line. You need to substitute your actual device name for eth0 as this is just an example
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    Code:
    ping -c3 google.com
    Code:
    dmesg
    Did you do an update? A new kernel perhaps?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Mike, Thanks for yours, but I don't understand what the 'device' is. How do I find out what should be inserted for eht0

Do ifconfig -a.
    The topmost item will likely be your device name.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    The top line reads:

Link encap: 192.168.0.104 HWAddr 48:5b:39:94:28:00

Should I put all of that in for eth0?

would call my isp before getting too drastic to verify everything is ok on their end.

Linux Newbie
    Bo, all other computers on the lan are able to reach the internet normally, but your "too drastic" now has me worried. Are you saying that doing the "fiddling" might compound my problem?

BTW, Mike asked, and I have not done a version upgrade, but I am constantly doing the updates and I believe may have done one very recently.

Post the output from the commands above, it looks like you have an IP address, let's see what you got going on.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Linux Newbie
    Mike, yours got me to thinking, so I tried pinging the router and got a reply (yea!).

Had restarted the computer twice yesterday and the second time had not restarted my browser, so when the ping worked this morning, I opened the browser and lo, it reached the internet. Very strange. I expect that I now have an intermittent problem, but hopefully that will be a one-time event.

Expect me back if it becomes a random problem, but in the meantime, thanks for all the great help!

P.S. Mike, I want to keep your suggestion at the ready in case the problem does return. What should I use for the substitution for your 'eth0'? Thanks.

You'll have to post the output of the commands before we can know that.
    ifconfig -a
    Post the entire output please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast